Court of Arbitration at the Confederation of Lewiatan - modern institution serving entrepreneurs and quick resolution of commercial disputes
- Year of birth
- Chennai, Indie
Real Estate, Construction
Agency, Distribution, Franchising
Commercial agreements in general
Dr. Ambedkar Govt. Law College (formerly Madras Law College), University of Madras, India.
After completing his legal education, he took up litigation practice at High Court of Madras during 1997. His enthusiasm towards Arbitration made him to pursue whole time arbitration practice since 2001. In 2006 he was admitted as a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb), a worldwide organization based in London, UK. Recently he has been approved as Tutor of CIArb and has been nominated as Director of CIArb (India).
He has presided as sole arbitrator in over 250 domestic cases, 8000 Documents-only small claims finance arbitrations and 10 international arbitrations. He also represented before arbitral tribunals in more than 20 ad hoc and institutional disputes.
His areas of practice includes international commercial arbitration, maritime arbitration, international trade & contracts, intellectual property rights, construction disputes, finance disputes, securities arbitration, joint ventures, banking law, documentary credits (L/Cs), ADR, sale of goods, domain name disputes and investment disputes.
Inbavijayan is accredited as an arbitrator in HKIAC, CIETAC, RCAKL, CRCICA, ICADR, ICA, CIDRA and several other regional and national arbitration institutions. He is a co-founder and former Secretary of an arbitration institution, Council for National and International Commercial Arbitration (CNICA) based in Chennai (Madras), India. Recently he has been inducted as member of International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA), The Hague.
Inbavijayan has contributed various articles and books in the field of arbitration and ADR and has lectured to law schools and conferences.
Current Position :
- Commercial Arbitrator - Domestic and International;
- Foreign Consultant, Dr. Abdullah Alsaidi Law Office, Sultanate of Oman
- Co-founder, Council for National and International Commercial Arbitration (CNICA), India;
- Honorary Legal Consultant, Indian Institution of Technical Arbitrators;
- Foreign Director, CCPIT Hebei Sub-Council,China;
- Arbitration Coordinator for Late Hon'ble Justice K.Venkataswami, formerly Judge,Supreme Court of India (May 2005 - September 2008);
- Visiting Faculty in Arbitration, School of excellence in Law & Tamil Nadu Dr.Ambedkar Law University, Chennai, India;
- Approved Tutor, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators UK;
- Director, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (India);
- Fellow, Indian Council of Arbitration;
- Member, International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA), The Hague.
- Chambers and Partners Asia Directory 2009, 2010, 2011 & 2012;
- Listed in the International Who's Who of Commercial Arbitrators 2008;
- Nominated to the International Who's Who of Commercial Arbitrators (2007 & 2009);
- Nominated to Smit's Roster of International Arbitrators;
- Listed in the List of International Lawyers for Multilateral Trade Cooperation, UNCTAD Programme on Dispute Settlement in international trade, investment & IP.
- Bar Experience,1997.
- Presided as Sole Arbitrator and co-arbitrator in more than 250 Domestic Adhoc and Institutional Arbitration and more than 8000 Documents only small claims Finance Arbitration cases;
- Presided as Sole Arbitrator and co-arbitrator in 10 International Ad hoc and Institutional Arbitrations.
- Represented before Arbitral Tribunal (Sole and Three Member Panels) in more than 20 Adhoc and Institutional Arbitrations.
As Secretary to Arbitral Tribunals:
- Acted as Secretary in many Domestic Adhoc and Institutional Arbitrations;
- Acted as Secretary in 10 International Adhoc and Institutional Arbitrations.
- Acted as Mediator in 10 Domestic Mediations and one International Commercial Mediation.
- Arbitrator- Annual Willem C. Vis (East) International Commercial Arbitration Moot (2006, 2007 & 2010);
- Arbitrator for State Level Moot Court Competition (2009);
- Judge, 3rd Pro Bono Enviro National Moot Court Competition (March 2010);
- Pre-Moot of the Willem C.Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot ( 2011 & 2012 ) Judge, 1st Indian.
Mediation & Arbitration Scheme (as Arbitrator):
- Lehman-Brothers-related Investment Products Dispute Mediation and Arbitration Scheme at HKIAC, Hong Kong;
- Surveying Dispute Mediation and Arbitration Scheme at HKIAC, Hong Kong.
Membership in organizations
Arbitration organizations in India :
- International Centre for ADR (ICADR) -Ministry of Law, Justice & Company Affairs;
- Indian Council of Arbitration;
- Madras Chamber of Commerce and Industry;
- Indo-German Chamber of Commerce;
- Indian Institute of Arbitration and Mediation (IIAM, Bangalore);
- Indo-Australian Chamber of Commerce;
- Nani Palkhivala Arbitration Centre;
- Indo-European Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
International and Regional:
- International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA), The Hague;
- China International Economic & Trade Arbitration Commission, (CIETAC), China;
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, Hong Kong;
- First Panel of Arbitrators, Kuala Lumpur Regional Centre for Arbitration, Malaysia;
- Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration, Egypt;
- Tehran Regional Arbitration Centre (TRAC), Iran;
- sion at the CCI of the Russian Federation, Russia Maritime Arbitration commis.
- Permanent Arbitration Court of the COCI of Mauritius;
- Malagasy Arbitration and Mediation Center, Madagascar;
- Commercial Arbitration Centre in Harare, Zimbabwe;
- Sharm El Sheikh International Arbitration Centre (SHIAC), Egypt.
- Centro de Arbitrage de Mexico, Mexico;
- CAM Paraguay, Paraguay;
- Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Bermuda Branch, Bermuda;
- Chicago International Dispute Resolution Association, USA.
Asia (Other than India):
- Sri Lanka National Arbitration Centre, Sri Lanka;
- Arbitration Association of Republic of China, Taiwan;
- Domain Name Dispute Resolution (DNDR), RCAKL, Malaysia;
- International Arbitration Court of the Juridical Centre "IUS", Kazakhstan;
- International Arbitration Court of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Kazakhstan;
- International Court of Arbitration, Kyrgyzstan;
- International Commercial Arbitration Court, Azerbaijan;
- Philippines Dispute Resolution Centre Inc., Philippines;
- Guangzhou Arbitration Commission, China;
- Hong Kong Islamic Arbitration Center, Arab Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Hong Kong SAR, China;
- CCPIT Mediation Centre,China (Panel of Mediators);
- Kazakhstani International arbitrage, Kazakhstan;
- Pacific International Arbitration Center,Vietnam;
- Tianjin International Economic and Financial Arbitration Center, China;
- Qatar International Arbitration Center, Qatar;
- Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Kazakhstan;
- Arbitration Court, Chamber of Commerce and Industry of Republic of Armenia, Armenia.
- Arbitration Court, Economic Chamber of Czech Republic, Czech Republic;
- International Commercial and Industrial Arbitration Court, Switzerland;
- Venice Court of National and International Arbitration, Italy;
- Vilnius National & International Arbitration (Vilnius Arbitration), Lithuania;
- Slovak Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Slovakia;
- Permanent Arbitration Court of the COCI of Slovenia, Slovenia;
- Arbitration Court, CCI of Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Canary Islands, Spain;
- Famagusta Chamber of Commerce & Industry, Cyprus;
- Belgian Centre for Arbitration & Mediation (CEPANI), Belgium;
- Court of International Commercial Arbitration, CCI of Romania, Romania;
- Maritime Arbitration Chamber, Monaco;
- European Centre for Dispute Resolution (ECDR), Eastern Europe.
- Bar Council of Tamilnadu, India,1997;
- Madras High Court Advocates Association, Chennai, India, 1998;
- High Court of Madras - Jr. Panel of Advocate Commissioners (2000 - 2002);
- Inter-Pacific Bar Association (IPBA),Tokyo, Japan, 2003.
- Executive Committee Member of ICCIndia, New Delhi, India (1999 - 2001);
- Member,Committee on ADR,ASSOCHAM (Associated Chamber of Commerce and Industry);
- Advisory Council, Corporate Intelligence Education & Research (CIER), India;
- Member, Steering Committee, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators India Branch.
Professional Organisation Involvement:
- Member, Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, UK (MCIArb);
- Member, International Council for Commercial Arbitration (ICCA), The Hague;
- Life Individual Member, Indian Council of Arbitration (ICA), India;
- Member, International Arbitration Institute, Paris, France (2005);
- Member, Swiss Arbitration Association (ASA Below 40), Switzerland;
- Member, Association for International Arbitration, France (2003);
- Member, YIAG of London Court of International arbitration, UK;
- Member, China Arbitration Forum, China;
- Member, Australasian Forum for International Arbitration, Australia;
- Member, Austrian Arbitration Association, Austria;
- Member, Young Arbitrators Forum, USCIB, USA;
- Advisory Board Member, ITA, Texas, USA (1998 -1999);
- Associate, ICDR Y & I, Dublin, Ireland;
- Student Member, BIICL, London,1998;
- Life Member, International Centre for Alternative Dispute Resolution (ICADR), India;
- Founder Member, Council for National and International Commercial Arbitration, India;
- Member, Hong Kong Mediation Council, Hong Kong;
- Member, HKIAC Users' Council, Hong Kong.
- "Commentary on New Arbitration and Conciliation Act,1996, India" [Article];
- "Law and Society - Indian Perspective", Indian Socio-Legal Journal, 1998, XXIV, 1-2;
- "ARBITRATION: An Effective Mode of Resolving Disputes", Vol.3, Issue 8, CASC Bulletin, November 2004;
- "ARBITRATION - The Role of CNICA", Vol.3, Part 4, Recent Arbitration Judgments (RAJ), December 2004;
- "SUPREME COURT on The Arbitration and Conciliation Act, 1996", First Edition, 2006;
- "Global Business Diplomacy and Arbitration", Arbitration and ADR in Africa, June 2007;
- "Effect of Mediation Process in Arbitration", Editor, Professor. G. Jegadeesan, "Mediation: An Effective Dispute Settlement Machinery", The ICFAI University Press, First Edition, 2008;
- "Art of Negotiation", ICFAI Press, 2008;
- Legal Problems and Remedies in Trade and Investments in India,Chenghe International Commercial Law Forum, Legal Practices Forum of International Trade and Investments in South - Asia and South East Asia, Shijiazhuang, China (September 2008);
- Arbitration System in India, CCPIT Hebei Sub-Council, China (September 2008);
- "Dispute Avoidance and Resolution in Construction Industry ", in " The Masterbuilder ", October 2008;
- "Future Prospects of Mediation in Rural India’, Symposium held in French Senate on judicial mediation in the world, ”Diversity of mediations throughout the world in various parts of Africa, the East, the Americas and in Europe”, 2009-10;
- "Arbitration - Best alternative to Adversarial Process - Cost & Time", FIDIC Contracts & Arbitration (Compilation of Conference Papers), April 2010;
- "Selection of Arbitral Panel in ICA", Uncitral, CIAC & SIAC Conference (Compilation of Conference Papers), December 2010.
back to list